Monday 3 March 2014



Never Talk To Strangers On The Train

What's in the box?
In the box? 
Down there.
Down here?
Yes, the box with the chains.
Oh, you mean the casket!
The casket?
The casket with the chains and the window.
There's a window? 
Yes. On the other side. It's only small.
What's in it?
In the window?
No, in the casket with the chains.
Oh, in the casket. Why, there's a baby in there.
A baby?
Yes, a baby.


Why a baby?
It's too spectral for out here.
Too what?
Too spectral.
Too ghoulish?
No, too ghostly for this air.
And it sleeps in there?
Oh, it exists in there.
Can I see it?
I wouldn't dare. Not yet.
What does it look like?
Colour or shape? 
You choose.
Well, when it breathes in it's purple.
I see.
And when it breathes out it's green.


My my. And the shape?
Well, it fits pretty snug.
Has it got all of its bits?
It's bits?
It's limbs I suppose- it's fingers and toes.
Oh no. It needs none of those. It's got a mouth, though.
Do you feed it? 
Feed and water through a tube.
Through a tube?
A clear rubber tube through the window you see.
Has it got eyes?


Oh, big bulbous things. But not much light. There's no need.
Is it yours?
Is your question real?
Did you make it?
I found it after a swift sleep.
When you awoke?
After a tunnel like this. We were near Paddington. It was raining.
Like today?


A thin drizzle, yes. I was going to the hospital. I found it on my knee.
You were ill.
I was hearty.
I'm sickening myself.
Hmmm. Yes, I see, I see.
Are you my consultant?


For that lump thing that's constant?
For my throat that's tumescent.
Indeed that is me.


And the baby?
The baby?
Will you let me see it?
I already told you it's not quite the time.
And the chains?
What of them?
Is it appropriate for an infant whose committed no crime?
But it couldn't just sit on my knee.
Too ghostly.
Too ghostly by half.


Is it getting any bigger?
The baby or the lump?
Is my lump my baby?
No, I can measure it with my thumb.
Is it you that will help me?
Are you forgetting to breathe?


How many more tunnels are there?
Do you want to cry, my baby?
The windows are warping.
Breathe in, yes, breathe in.


I don't know what the colours are.
Purple my most protected.
Are my eyeballs bloody bulging?
Exhale for your daddy- breathe out green.

No comments:

Post a Comment